Fwd: [announce] 2014 spring release

From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 22:33:44 +0100

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 9:49 PM, Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org> wrote:
> On 15/05/2014 20:43, Jorge Almeida wrote:
>>

>> Anyway, I have both /command and /package in the hard-drive based
>> system, and only /command in the initramfs. So, unless I'm missing
>> something, setting conf-home seems the best solution.
>

> The fact that setting conf-home to "" works for you is an artefact,
> a hack that works by pure chance. It breaks slashpackage assumptions
> and is not guaranteed to work in the future.

I suppose I must take a closer look at which assumptions are involved.

> If you set your PATH to /command in your initramfs, and clear
> flag-slashpackage, you will have no PATH security issues, and no
> performance loss. This is the supported way of doing what you want.

<SIGH>

>> Assuming that
>> the symlinks in the hard-drive /command dir are up to date, is there
>> any real inconvenient in hard-coding the paths in the binaries to
>> /command rather than /package/* ? It seems the best of both worlds...
>

> Some people want slashpackage but not slashcommand. /command is an
> extension to slashpackage, that provides some benefits but is not
> essential.
>
> Really, clearing flag-slashpackage for your initramfs doesn't hurt.
> And if you want a slashpackage structure in your initramfs, then do it !
> Just copy the directory structure and the .../command subdirectories
> with the binaries inside, and have /command be a bunch of symlinks.

Maybe I'll put a lobotomized /package dir in the initramfs, with dir
containing symlinks to /command/ (Not all binaries of the hard-drive
/command are copied to the initramfs, only those that are really
needed.)

For example, for the execline package: am I right to assume that
binaries must be accessible in /package/admin/execline/command/, and
that this is the only requisite in order to be compatible with
slashpackage, at least when statically compiled? If so, I can cook
up a symlink based setup that will be easy to maintain and very
lightweight...

The
> /package tree without the source/doc/randomcrap and the additional
> symlinks won't take much space in your initramfs, you have that little
> extra RAM, and you'll free it quite fast anyway.

No, it won't get free, as I keep the initramfs as / all the time (hard
drives are mounted under /slash)

> Or you could forego initramfs entirely, initramfs is useless. :P

Nope :)
My initramfs doubles as rescue system (of sorts, anyway)

Jorge