Re: s6-svstat "want up"

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 23:32:11 +0200

On 08/09/2015 22:36, Buck Evan wrote:
> $ s6-svc -dx date/
> [5] Done s6-supervise date

  When you tell s6-supervise to exit, it does not update the
status file before exiting. It's unnecessary, because whether
the service is "up" or "down" becomes nonsensical: it's
simply unsupervised, and you should not s6-svstat such a
service directory.

> $ s6-svstat date/
> down (exitcode 0) 6 seconds, normally up, want up, ready 6 seconds
> (...)
> $ s6-svstat date/
> down (exitcode 0) 10 seconds, normally up, want up, ready 10 seconds
> (...)
> The "want up" here seems patently false.

  Yes. You cannot trust s6-svstat when you run it on a service
directory that doesn't have a s6-supervise running. It's neither a
bug nor a feature, you are just invoking undefined behaviour.

  I could probably make s6-svstat exit with a specific error code
and message in that case, if you wish.

--
  Laurent