Re: s6-ftrig-wait is not relocatable

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 12:09:46 +0200

On 14/10/2015 02:58, Buck Evan wrote:
> The packaging system I'm targeting (pypi wheels =X) are built binaries that
> are relocated arbitrarily, so the "run-time installation path" is entirely
> unknown at compile time.

  I don't understand. How is that even supposed to work? If packages
want to install files in /etc, they can't? If you need to access
binaries, how do you know what to put in your PATH?

  If the packaging system can't provide answers to those questions,
it's not "weird". It's "broken".

> Making everything fully static makes everything but this one bit work
> though.

  Not really: execline and s6 binaries expect to be able to spawn other
execline and s6 binaries, some of which are found via PATH search, some
of which are in /usr/libexec/s6 or something, depending on your
./configure options. If you don't know your run-time installation paths,
things will *appear* to work, but be subtly broken.

> As a nasty hack, --enable-tai-clock seems like it will disable the use of
> leapsecs.dat.

  Please don't do that unless you know that your system clock is TAI-10.

--
  Laurent