[announce] Spring 2016 release

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 18:00:18 +0200

  Hello,

  New release of skarnet.org packages are available, with a few significant
changes.

  * General
    -------

  skarnet.org packages now support the GNU configure convention of using
--host=HOST for cross-compiling; the --enable-cross option is not used
anymore. The CROSS_COMPILE variable is now supported at the make level, not
at the configure level.
  In other words, the behaviour is now closer to what an autoconf-generated
configure script would do.

  You still need to provide the correct host sysdeps to build skalibs,
though; unlike autoconf, I still do not pretend to know sysdeps I don't.

  This change impacts existing build scripts, but does not impact existing
compiled software, so I was not sure if it warranted a major version bump.
I finally decided against it: only minor version bumps here, unless there
was an unrelated API change that enforced a major version bump.

  A few minor bugfixes have been made to the build system.

  Static binaries have been made smaller on average.

  A cgit interface is available on the skarnet.org server at:
  http://git.skarnet.org/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi
  I'm not sure how stable it is; I'm not sure if I can make it official.
But so far it seems to be working. This is good for people who want a
web interface to git without relying on github. :)

  * skalibs-2.3.10.0
    ----------------

  The default value for SKALIBS_DEFAULTPATH now includes /usr/sbin and
/sbin. This ensures that init scripts generated by s6-linux-init-maker
work properly on non-slashpackage installations.

  http://skarnet.org/software/skalibs/
  git://git.skarnet.org/skalibs

  * execline-2.1.5.0
    ----------------

  The "forx" command now supports mixing the -p option with the -x/-o
option. A parallel forx will exit 0 when all of its children exit with
a code defined as successful; it will exit 1 otherwise.

  http://skarnet.org/software/execline/
  git://git.skarnet.org/execline

  * s6-2.3.0.0
    ----------

  Minor fixes.
  s6-svscan now defaults to -t0 instead of -t5000, which means by default
it will not poll the scandir at all anymore. Scans must be triggered by an
invocation of s6-svscanctl -a. This change warrants a major version bump.

  http://skarnet.org/software/s6/
  git://git.skarnet.org/s6

  * s6-rc-0.0.3.0
    -------------

  Bugfix: some error paths in s6-rc-init would segfault.
  Bugfix: some error paths in s6-rc-init or s6-rc-update would not properly
rollback filesystem operations, and leave the filesystem in an inconsistent
state. (Have I ever mentioned that Unix filesystem primitives make it
really hard to implement transactions?)

  http://skarnet.org/software/s6-rc/
  git://git.skarnet.org/s6-rc

  * s6-dns-2.0.1.0
    --------------

  Bugfix: some binaries were not working properly on ARM platforms.
  Bug workaround: s6-dns would not build properly with certain versions of
busybox ash.
  (busybox ash sometimes fails to perform prefix deletion in parameter
expansion in here documents. It only triggers on the previous s6-dns
configure script, not on the other skarnet.org configure scripts despite
their similarity. If you want to try and fix _that_, be my guest.)

  http://skarnet.org/software/s6-dns/
  git://git.skarnet.org/s6-dns

  * s6-networking-2.1.1.0
    ---------------------

  No specific changes.

  http://skarnet.org/software/s6-networking/
  git://git.skarnet.org/s6-networking

  * s6-portable-utils-2.0.6.0
    -------------------------

  Minor bugfixes.
  s6-test now implements the -v operation, to test whether a variable is
defined in the environment.

  http://skarnet.org/software/s6-portable-utils/
  git://git.skarnet.org/s6-portable-utils

  * s6-linux-utils-2.1.0.0
    ----------------------

  Minor bugfixes.
  The default behaviour of s6-reboot, s6-halt and s6-poweroff has changed.
(This warrants a major version bump.) By default, they now send a signal
to pid 1: SIGINT for reboot, SIGUSR1 for poweroff and SIGUSR2 for halt.
If s6-svscan is running as process 1 with the -s option, those signals
can be caught via appropriate scripts in .s6-svscan, and the correct
shutdown procedure can be triggered.
  The old behaviour of s6-reboot, s6-halt and s6-poweroff can be obtained
by using the -f option to those tools.

  http://skarnet.org/software/s6-linux-utils/
  git://git.skarnet.org/s6-linux-utils

  * s6-linux-init-0.1.0.0
    ---------------------

  s6-linux-init-maker now writes its stage 1 init script into the output
directory, instead of to stdout. (This warrants a major version bump.)
  A new -s option has been added to s6-linux-init-maker. This makes stage 1
init dump any environment it has inherited from the kernel into an envdir.

  http://skarnet.org/software/s6-linux-init/
  git://git.skarnet.org/s6-linux-init

  Enjoy,
  Bug-reports welcome.