Re: skalibs: how to properly detect posix_spawnp() when using uclibc-ng?

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 15:10:31 +0200

On 16/08/2016 13:13, Eric Le Bihan wrote:
> This looks good! I had to patch here and there for the static build to
> work (see attached patches), but now it is possible to build
> buildroot-s6 with uclibc-ng using the HEAD of the feature/uclibc branch
> (commit 207c36f) [1].

  Patches applied, thanks! Oversights on my part.

> Note that this series contains a patch for skalibs to check target
> endianness using pre-processor directives instead of a runtime test. It
> looks like the same can be used for size type check, so I'll work on
> this too [2].

  I actually realized there are very few sysdeps that actually need a
build-time execution; most of them can be detected with tests that only
involve compiling or linking. So it may be worth it at some point to
separate the sysdeps into "what can be detected even when cross-compiling"
and "what has to be manually provided when cross-compiling", in order to
keep the latter as small as possible. It's likely that I'll make such a
pass in 2017.
  Unfortunately, it will not be possible to entirely remove build-time
execution, but it should still help ease the pain of cross-compiling.

  I'm interested in target endianness and size type checks that do not
require execution, but please remember the checks would have to work with
any toolchain (i.e. I don't want gcc-specific stuff). Anything that
works with a generic C toolchain and decreases build-time test execution
is likely to get upstreamed. :)

--
  Laurent