Re: SIGFPE in s6-rc-init 3.0.0 etc,...

From: Rasmus Villemoes <rasmus.villemoes_at_prevas.dk>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 08:27:03 +0100

On 2017-12-14 22:35, Stefan Nilsson wrote:
> Hey Laurent,
>
> I have been using s6 for some time now to bring up and monitor services
> in a custom embedded system. The system is built using buildroot and
> (due to customer requirements) built with glibc 2.26.

[snip]

> When buildroot 2017.11 was released, I was thrilled to see new versions
> of s6 in it (s6-rc 0.3.0.0, skalibs 2.6.0.1 and s6 2.6.1.1), but when
> booting up I immediately got a SIGFPE in s6-rc-init,... I ran it through
> strace and the result can be seen here: http://steffe.net/s6-sigfpe.txt
>
> It crashes at the exact same place if I re-run it, and it crashes every
> time.

Quite interesting that you can consistently reproduce a crash there. The
tail of that strace, from the open(.../supervise/control)->ENOENT
onwards, exactly matches the crash I've reported at

http://skarnet.org/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?1:msp:1033:jfbcmmfpnlnhnahkgkfh

but: I haven't been able to find a way to reproduce it, and both the two
occurrences I've seen have different symptoms, namely assert()s inside
glibc failing [hence the open(/dev/tty) onwards is from glibc's assert
handler, and can be ignored]. But that was with glibc 2.24, and I
suppose it's possible that some code has been reorganized so that you're
hitting a div-by-0 instead. Of course, it's also possible that the
crashes are unrelated, but that seems unlikely.

Rasmus