Re: execline globbing

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 23:04:06 +0000

>That brings me to another question: is there a collection of
>more execline utilities somewhere? I suspect the standard
>GNU coreutils are not quite to your liking in a lot of cases.

  The execline package has all the execline-specific utilities you
need to perform execline scripting (although if you have a bright
idea about something that's obviously missing, please share it).
GNU coreutils provide a completely different functionality, i.e.
basic Unix utilities - and if you don't like them, there are a ton
of other implementations of the same utilities: busybox, toybox,
sbase+ubase, etc.

>Would you be open to switch the default behavior?
>Maybe with a warning message on `-0` that it is the default
>and will be removed after a few releases.
>I suggest something like `-k` for “keep”.

  I don't think the benefits of changing the default are worth the
drawbacks and the effort. Again, the current default is how shell
globbing works, and I think there's value in aligning with that
behaviour. As long as the user has control, there's not much
incentive to change.

--
  Laurent