Re: cross-compile skalibs

From: Jens Rehsack <rehsack_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 16:27:08 +0200

> Am 21.09.2019 um 00:22 schrieb Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>:
>
>> What I *can* do, though, is change the skalibs build system so that
>> on cross-compilation, you only need to provide the few sysdeps that
>> cannot be probed at all.
>
> I spent today on this, and managed to bring down the necessary amount
> of manually provided sysdeps to one (1).

That's impressive.

> The skalibs git head will now cross-compile without the user needing
> to provide a whole sysdeps directory. Only one additional configure
> option is required: --with-sysdep-devurandom=V
> V=yes to assume a working /dev/urandom on the target, V=no otherwise.

And I was bombed with writing specifications about providing some
drivers for extra functionality added to a special PMIC in the current
device we're porting an environment for.

Sorry about the delay, but the folks waited for input to start coding :(

> Pretty happy with how this turned out, even if some autodetection
> without code execution on the target is a total nightmare (looking at
> you, endianness).
> Official release happening soon-ish.

Maybe I'm allowed to add two wishes for future:

* support flags to identify sdkroot (when it's specified, you're
  definitively in a cross-compile environment) and sysroot (that
  is the stuff you can count on during compile and run time).
* move sysdeps dir into $(includedir)/skalibs/sysdepds

Cheers
--
Jens Rehsack - rehsack_at_gmail.com