Question About the Purpose of s6-rc

From: Uros Perisic <uros.m.perisic_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 12:30:15 +0800

Hi all,

I am generally new to daemontools-style init systems (been a runit user for
about 6 months now, looking to try out s6), so I have a few clarifying
questions regarding s6-rc. Forgive me if they stem from my ignorance.

All three bullets here <https://skarnet.org/software/s6-rc/why.html>
essentially boil down to dependency management (with the exception of
one-shot services). But my question is this:

If all services are started in parallel, but s6-rc -wu blocks until a
service is up, what is the difference between simply putting it in a run
script before the exec call, and s6-rc figuring the dependencies out ahead
of time?

Best,
Uros