Re: execlineb ELF executable stack on Linux

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 11:01:17 +0000

>Recent versions of the Linux kernel issue a warning when a process
>executes an image with an executable stack, as an indicator of a
>_potential_ security vulnerability. Such a warning is issued when
>execlineb is executed.

  I just checked my kernel logs and indeed, I get such a warning as well.
  That's pretty weird, because there is nothing in execlineb that
should require an executable stack. I will take a look at all the
source files involved in the final execlineb binary, to see whether
something is poisoning it.

  Honestly, I'm baffled - and I hope to all the gods it's just a stupid
mistake I've made somewhere, and not a complex issue involving compiler
and linker details that will take two weeks to untangle.

  Thanks for the report. I'll keep you informed.

--
  Laurent