Re: [s6-dns] is there a particular reason skadns_packet would return NULL errno ENETUNREACH?

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 11:23:20 +0000

>i source spelunked and the story is that, if the error is coming from s6dns_engine_prepare, dt->protostate exceeds or equals 4. I chased that struct member around a few times and I couldn't figure out what it means to s6dns.

  dt->protostate is used for two things:

  - in UDP mode, to track how many times the query has been sent to the
whole list of caches and all of them have failed to answer within a
given timeout. The timeout increases for each round.

  - in TCP mode, to track how many bytes of the query have been written
and how many bytes of the answer have been received (a congested
network may result in short writes or reads).

  The error you got indeed happens when you're in UDP mode (the starting
default for every query), dt->protostate has reached 4 and
s6dns_engine_prepare() returns 0 ENETUNREACH, which
s6dns_engine_timeout() stores into dt->status and skadnsd then sends
back to your client.

  What it means is that your query was sent in succession to every
cache listed in dt->servers (most likely, the list of "nameserver"
entries in your /etc/resolv.conf, unless you overrode it with the
DNSCACHEIP environment variable), and every one of them failed to
answer within 1 second, then within 3 seconds, then within 11
seconds, then within 45 seconds. That sounds like either your
nameserver list is bad, or your own network is down; and s6-dns reports
this as ENETUNREACH.

--
  Laurent