Re: B/LFS-s6 Project

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 10:06:56 +0100

  I'm currently working with Jim to help him set up a way of
booting a LFS system with s6 while using standard utilities
and sticking to the FHS.

  Once the one-time initialization (which includes stage 1 and
a one-time initialization script that runs in stage 2, when
s6-svscan is already running) is complete, I expect a s6-based
system to be very close to a runit-based system. Service
directories are similar, the installation and administration
principles are similar. The main difference between s6 and
runit, for a distribution builder, is boot time.

  The shutdown script, .../.s6-svscan/finish, can be directly
translated from /etc/runit/3; and /etc/runit/1 can be the
basis for a s6-based /sbin/init, but since there is no fallback
with s6, /sbin/init should be minimal and the rest of the
one-time initialization happening in /etc/runit/1 should run
once s6-svscan has taken over.

--
  Laurent