Re: initialization vs supervision

From: Joe M <joe9mail_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 08:31:05 -0500

Hello James,

> Stage-1's purpose is basically to mount file systems, load drivers,
> check the file system, and load the disks. Now first off, yes, I
> could move udev into stage-2, but there-in lies an issue, what would
> then require a redrafting of many service scripts to check for udev,
> then load? Udev in my opinion is a one-shot daemon. It loads devices
> and it settles, and that's it. DBus already has many services check
> for it. If we expand this it only increases the complexity factor,
> so that's why things get moved around from stage-2 to stage-1,
> unless otherwise shown to be necessary.

I take your approach that udev should not need to be supervised. If it
crashes, I have this line in my crontab:
" */5 * * * * for svc in $(rc-status --crashed); do rc-service $svc -- --nodeps restart; done"

On my system, I have atd, crond, acpid, klogd and svlogd as supervised
processes. I plan to move from syslogd to rsyslogd, so, it might
change a little.

Thanks
Joe

--cmJC7u66zC7hs+87