Re: Missing files /etc/init.d/rcS and rmnologin

From: Avery Payne <avery.p.payne_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 11:26:07 -0800

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I installed runit according to the instructions at
> http://smarden.org/runit/install.html and
> http://smarden.org/runit/replaceinit.html . However, when I booted with
> init=/sbin/runit-init, I got error messages from the /etc/runit/1
> script:
>
> Line 6 /etc/init.d/rcS No such file or directory
>
> Line 7 /etc/init.d/rmnologin No such file or directory
>
> It got to stage 2, according to the output, but Ctrl+5 produced no
> login prompt, so I'm assuming tty5 didn't run properly.

Both of those are part of a SysV Init installation. Do you still have your
System V Init scripts installed? And yes, tty5 didn't load up properly.

> Before I start putting diagnostic prints all over the place, could
> somebody please tell me whether /etc/init.d/rcS
> and /etc/init.d/rmnologin are meant to be installed by runit, and if
> not, where would I get them?

They are not a part of runit (see above). I'm wondering if you read the
instructions for migrating off of SysV Init.

The rcS file contains the single-user startup script. rmnologin removes
the nologin setting so the system can come up multi-user - I'm a little
foggy-headed and hurried this morning but I believe it's a file and it
simply does a "rm nologin".