Re: Could s6-scscan ignore non-servicedir folders?

From: Wayne Marshall <wcm_at_b0llix.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 15:09:40 -0800

Just throwing out a few factoids pertaining to perp:

In general, so-called "one-shot" thingies are by definition not services
(that is, are not persistent processes), and so are not properly in the
domain of supervision.

But perp does accomodate various permutations and monstronsities as are
under discussion here.

1) the runpause(8) utility may be used to hack a service out of what
normally would be a system initialization:

http://b0llix.net/perp/site.cgi?page=runpause.8

Note also: perpd runs as a single daemon and does not "spawn" a useless
forest of additional supervise process overhead.

2) the 'flag.once' mechanism in a service directory may be used to mark
a service at start-up for running only once -- see the STARTUP
MODIFICATION section of the perpd(8) manual:

http://b0llix.net/perp/site.cgi?page=perpd.8

3) there is no rule that limits one to running only a single perpd
instance. It is possible to run multiple perpd instances on a single
system to segregate services in a way roughly analogous to sysv
runlevels, and I have done so.

4) in general, folks here are letting their panties get far too twisted
with the dependency problem. Actual material dependencies are
relatively few and can be easily (and best) accomodated directly in the
runscript of the dependent service. See the perpok(8) utility for a
way to handle dependencies that is suitable in practice for most all
installations:

http://b0llix.net/perp/site.cgi?page=perpok.8

Wayne
http://b0llix.net/perp/