Runit logging issue

From: Gary Malouf <malouf.gary_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 19:17:14 -0500

Hi there,

I've run into a confusing issue capturing sysout data and am hoping to get
some assistance.

We have been running sidekiq via runit for a while with great success.
This was on an ubuntu vm where the sidekiq run script itself ran the
command as the ubuntu user. Recently we upgraded our Ruby version from
2.0.x to 2.2.0 and for permission reasons needed to move the 'bundle'
command from being global to being owned by our ubuntu user. We thus
changed our run script to the following:

#!/bin/sh
cd my_app_home
exec 2>&1
exec chpst -uubuntu -e /etc/sv/sidekiq/environment bash -c "source
~/.profile && bundle exec sidekiq -C config/sidekiq.yml -P
tmp/pids/sidekiq.pid"

When I run the command directly outside of runit, I get my expected output
from sidekiq directly in sysout. However, when inside runit, that app
starts but the output is not going to my configured log location like it
used to.

log/run:

#!/bin/sh
exec chpst -uubuntu svlogd -tt /var/log/sidekiq

I've checked all my file permissions to ensure ubuntu user has access (have
actually run svlogd as root too to test) and have no issues there. From
checks via 'ps aux' and the rails console, sidekiq is running but I'm
clearly not capturing the output anymore.

I am really confused as to what could be happening, am I not configuring
the logging properly?

Thank you,

Gary