Re: Some suggestions about s6 and s6-rc

From: Casper Ti. Vector <caspervector_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 21:17:16 +0800

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 02:26:44PM +0200, Laurent Bercot wrote:
> You can't add parallel service start/stop as an afterthought. It has to
> be included in the design. OpenRC is a good serial rc system, but it's
> not a parallel rc system by any means.

Thanks for your explanation, it is very clear. Nevertheless, I think it
will save us some argument against a certain group of propagandists
after September if you somehow clarify this in the documentation -- as
you said in the DNG mail list, "propaganda works", so making the blurb
more distortion-proof might reduce productivity wasted in malicious
arguments.

> So, I don't mind the asymmetry because it's a natural one given the
> way a system works, and working around it is trivial. I only made
> the "down" script optional because it's true that a lot of oneshots
> won't have anything to do when being turned off; but the opposite is
> exceptional. Does it really bother you?

Well, it is more of a "mathematical" ugliness to me -- a workaround is
also trivial. If the proposed change is applied, it will make the model
(very) slightly better with nearly negligible cost, so this is really up
to the party in charge: I usually choose to apply such changes, but this
time it finally depends on your taste.

> I promise I'll try to be more verbose and explicit in the commit logs
> for significant changes, and especially changes that add functionalities,
> i.e. things that may need a revert: it's important to know what commit
> broke stuff. For trivial modifications, I don't want to bother making
> nontrivial commit messages. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

That will be nice :)

> As long as you're civil and relevant, that's really not a problem.
> We're all a big bunch of egos, no need to apologize for it. ;)

Thanks :)

--
My current OpenPGP key:
4096R/0xE18262B5D9BF213A (expires: 2017.1.1)