Re: Some suggestions about s6 and s6-rc

From: Colin Booth <cathexis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 07:11:37 -0700

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 9:29 AM, Laurent Bercot
<ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org> wrote:
> On 20/09/2015 18:03, Steve Litt wrote:
>>
>> That's my point exactly. Unfamiliar with the tool, you read the docs,
>> keep reading about "down" in two different contexts, get confused, and
>> say "later days."
>

> You will not read about "down" in two different contexts in the docs.
> If you had read the docs, you would know that. :-Þ

The concept of a file named "down" is used in both contexts, but the
terminology is consistent , with "down file" being used for longruns
only, and "down script" used for the oneshot stop script. s6-rc talks
about down scripts for oneshots, and the the help pages for s6-rc and
s6-rc-init talk about down files in the classic sense. s6-rc-compile
talks about both but is also consistent, and only mentions down files
to indicate that it ignores them.

>From a "how does it work" perspective, the two uses of down to
indicate an on-disk item are well contained to their respective
sections and it's pretty hard to confuse the two. The down scripts for
oneshots only appear on disk in the pre-compiled source directories.
Once you run s6-rc-compile those files are embedded into the service
database so if you are looking at a scan directory (/run/service for
example) and see files named down, you can be guaranteed that you're
looking at s6-rc state tracking ./down files and not oneshot shutdown
scripts.

>> Earlier in this thread, you yourself said:
>>>
>>> I agree that the name collision is confusing, and it is an annoyance.
>

> I did say that. The name collision is confusing in this mailing-list at
> this time, because we're talking about s6-rc in a place where people do
> not know about it yet, but do know about supervisors, where "down" has a
> different meaning. When s6-rc is out and it's clear what kind of "down"
> we are talking about, it will not matter anymore.

Agreed, the name collision is only confusing in the "under experienced
humans talking about a thing" context.

>> Or how bout the poor daemontools familiar admin who's heard that s6-rc
>> + s6 is the best and it's daemontools-inspired, so he goes in with a
>> long-established understanding of "down" files and encounters this?
>

> You don't give Unix admins much credit, do you?

I'm a unix admin and I don't give them much credit ;)

>> OK, then I'm not correctly envisioning what s6-rc really is.
>

> There. Come back when s6-rc is out and you have read the doc, and
> you will see there's really no reason to panic. It will be okay.
> You'll certainly have some criticism towards s6-rc, and I'll be
> very interested in hearing it, but the use of "down" won't be a
> problem.

So, I think I'm possibly the only non-Laurent person on the mailing
list who uses s6-rc seriously. May I suggest that everyone who wants
to talk about the design of s6-rc but feels like they might be
confused about some parts go and try it out? You don't need to
completely convert your system to do so, a little 4-6 do-nothing
service set with its own s6-svscan and catch-all logger is fine to get
a feel for how the system works (my test rig mostly runs dstat and top
for the longruns, and the oneshots sleep a lot). s6-rc does need s6
and skalib builds that are newer than the current release tarballs but
there are a lot of ways of keeping that separate from your "real"
install if you don't want to rely on the git head.

Cheers!

--
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to
man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees