Re: nosh per-user service management

From: Jean Louis <bugs_at_gnu.support>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 12:56:17 +0300

I understand your point. But it is not practical, as it requires users
to become system administrators, which makes no sense. I am not
speaking of access rights in the operating system, but of the
knowledge and experience that is required by user to set such a
service.

While it may be easy for you and for me too, it is certainly not easy
matter for users. That is why they are called "users", not
administrators.

That is why, for users, we have /etc/skel, to give them files and
settings, how we, system administrators, think they shall be setup.

All my staff members are using GNU Emacs, but they certainly don't
know and will not think of command line options, they are interested
in editing only. So, setting a daemon, is not an option for any of
users I have. The practicality becomes impossible.

The option for users to set the supervised daemon services is always
there, they can install userbase daemontools or similar. If they know
how. So great majority do not know how. That is why they need help of
system administrators.

Jean