Re: s6 as a systemd alternative

From: Alex Efros <powerman_at_powerman.name>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 22:01:55 +0300

Hi!

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 01:40:18PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> The truth of the preceding statement depends entirely on your
> priorities. If you prioritize simplicity over software orthodoxy, built
> in process ordering, and a maximally recoverable boot instance, you'll
> prefer runit. That's why I prefer runit.
>
> Runit sounds like it would have a lot more problems than it really
> does. I've used runit on Void for 2 years and have had no problems I
> could trace to any runit software.

+1

I believe there is a place for both runit and s6, and Steve is right, it's
just a question of personal preference.

I'm using runit with Gentoo with trivial /etc/runit/1 instead of default
Gentoo boot/rc scripts for… not sure how long, I believe ~13 years. I use
it this way both on workstations and servers.

Yeah, I run udevd not supervised. And know what? I never had any issues
because of this. And as Steve said this can be solved, but I'm too lazy to
invent /etv/sv2/ and supervise udevd while it works ok.

Moreover, there are a number of other non-supervised processes on my
workstation: mount.ntfs-3g, polkitd, dbus-launch, dbus-daemon, udisksd…
and also several user/GUI related (ssh-agent, xxkb, xscreensaver, dropbox…) -
up to 30 daemon-like processes in sum. Probably some of them will be
auto-restarted by their client software after crash, but not all of them.
So, udevd is "the only one left" only on servers, workstations have a lot
of other daemons, which are much harder or even impossible to supervise.

To be honest, from time to time I consider switching to s6, but this
require some amount of work while everything already works without issues.
And I do like simplicity of my ~250 lines /etc/runit/1.

--
			WBR, Alex.