Re: s6-svscanboot, how to exit?

From: Jean Louis <bugs_at_gnu.support>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 10:54:32 +0300

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 02:00:17AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 18:53:44 +0300
> Jean Louis <bugs_at_gnu.support> wrote:
>
> > Hello Jonathan,

> > > No.

> > > No.

> > > No.

> > > No.
> >
> > I know I know, I did not read the manuals on
> > systemd.
>
> And why should you? You're using daemontools to
> escape as many processes as possible out of
> systemd's clutches, and there's nothing wrong
> with copying off stackexchange and letting the
> list know what worked. You're not expected to be
> a systemd expert.

I like simplicite of D.J. Bernstein, and s6 gives me
nice tools for each system without complexities,
in the D.J. Bernstein way.

It is long time ago that I found daemontools, it
was most natural. If I remember well it was even
packaged in Debian systems. init.d could not just
keep everything always running, daemontools could.

> > > You're a long-time daemontools user, you say.
> > > Why on Earth do you think that Type=forking is
> > > right?
> >
> > Because I don't think, I copied and it works, if
> > you did not tell me know, it would remain so for
> > years probably. I know I should be more
> > responsible, but I have placed before daemontools
> > in /etc/inittab and just forgot about it, I guess
> > that is wanted effect.
>
> You don't really need to apologize. You apparently weren't completely
> correct, and it worked well enough to make it seem correct. And some
> guy comes on, gives you four "no"s without reasons, imply that you're
> falsely bragging about being a daemontools user, and then gives you one
> of those "why on earth" type things.

Of course I have seen that, and I don't mind, it
is just my way of handling communication.

You know how people come into fights? When
explaining about the methods of communication
instead of the subject of communication.

So I try to avoid speaking of methods, as it does
not bring much -- but rather of subjects.

> > I don't think really, and I tried the one-shot
> > method too, but that was not the problem that I
> > was not exiting.
> >
> > This one I changed
> >
> > RemainAfterExit=no
> >
> > and now after systemd "start" it exits.
> >
> > > Why on Earth do you think that svscan -- any
> > > svscan, from daemontools-encore svscan to
> > > s6-svscan -- forks and exits parent? Or needs a
> > > TTY?
> >
> > You are right, I did not check enough.
>
> I'm sure you *DIDN'T* think that, and you really don't owe this guy an
> explanation, because he's sure not here to help you.
>
> Laurent's right. Go on a systemd list or IRC, tell them you need to
> spawn daemontools, tell them daemontools does not put itself in the
> background, and that you want it restarted if it stops. They'll tell
> you what to do. By the way, you might have to tell it to put /command
> on the $PATH. If you need that and you cannot get systemd to handle it,
> I'll give you a shellscript to get it done.

It is related to both, and more to this list I
guess, as people here will know more what is it
about. There would it be as conflict of interest,
just as here, but I guess more there... as a black
sheep in white sheep crowd.

I like reasoning behind daemontools, and Laurent's
reasoning, and that software just works.

The daemontools and now s6 supervision is simply
running 3 tiny web servers accepting the leads
through Nginx, and that is how wealth is created.

Jean