Re: Compatibilities between runit and s6 (re: Incompatibilities between runit and s6?)

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups_at_NTLWorld.COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 21:51:51 +0000

Charlie Brady:

> OK, so this statement is incomplete:

It also does not tell you that you need other POSIX-standard commands
such as |mv| and |ln|. But you need them, too. I draw the line at
listing every command, that POSIX-conformant systems have had to have
for two decades and that are also listed in the Linux Standard Base
<https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/LSB_5.0.0/LSB-Common/LSB-Common/rcommands.html>,
that is required. That would be ridiculous. I also don't mention
things that /operating system doco/ says are fundamental for building
packages, like build-essential
<https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/start.en.html#needprogs>
and base-devel
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Creating_Packages#Prerequisite_software>.
Pointing out that you need |redo|, on the other hand, is pointing out
something that is not POSIX, not in the LSB, and not in the operating
system doco. On those grounds, I should add that you need |xmlto|.