Re: has anyone gotten nosh to build on Void Linux?

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups_at_NTLWorld.COM>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 11:18:24 +0100

Chris Brannon:

> When I run package/compile from the root of the unpacked source tree,
> I get:
>
>> redo: ERROR: all: Cannot find .do file to use.

You need to make your operating system POSIX-conformant. I make fairly
liberal use of some standard utilities in the build process including
<http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/pax.html>|,
<http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/uname.html>|,
|mv
<http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/mv.html>|,
and |expr
<http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/expr.html>|
amongst others. A POSIX-conformant operating system is a fairly minimal
expectation for a build environment. (It is not as though the build
process is requiring, for example, the Bourne Again shell and its
non-POSIX extensions for building from source on host operating systems;
as some softwares do.) The source package page
<jdebp.info./Softwares/nosh/source-package.html> notes the
*non*-standard tools that are needed.

This information is pre-encoded in the |package/debian/control| file
that I supply for Debian Linux, to be automatically checked by
|dpkg-buildpackage|. (There's no equivalent list that I supply for the
BSDs; but it is also the case that the BSDs provide nearly all of this
stuff, including the non-POSIX |install| tool, out of the box, in
base.) If you are building on a different Linux operating system, that
is a good hint, with two caveats: Your Linux operating system won't
necessarily package things up the same way as Debian or have the same
package dependency tree, and Debian mandates a group of tools as
standard without their needing to be mentioned in a
|package/debian/control| file
<https://debian.org/doc/debian-policy/#package-relationships>.
Furthermore: Thomas Caravia has already worked out the build
requirements for Arch Linux in terms of pre-requisite Arch packages, and
the doco for Archnosh is a further source of clues for building on other
Linux operating systems.