Re: Log rotation issue with runit

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 00:05:05 -0500

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 13:39:17 +0000
Dmitry Bogatov <KAction_at_debian.org> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am Debian maintainer of `runit' supervision suite. Recently, I
> received bug report [^1] about stray .u logfiles. After some
> investigation I found code, that caused issue, but it seems that it
> was written with some purpose, yet I fail to understand that purpose.
>
> Author Gerrit Pape directed me here. Any clarification would be
> welcome! Please keep bug in thread.
>
> [^1] https://bugs.debian.org/916230

It's vital that no code be changed until the exact nature of the
problem is understood and reproducible at will. The extra files
reported in the bug aren't nearly especially inconvenient when compared
to possible problems when modifying code that the code's author isn't
maintaining on a regular basis.

It would be interesting to see the dates and contents of the files:
That might shed some light on what's happening.

One person in this thread mentioned that .u files shouldn't be rotated
and deleted at all. If that's the case, a fairly simple cron job could
be made to delete all .u files older than a certain age except the
current/latest .u file. That would probably fix the inconvenience
endured by the bug reporter, without applying any premature fixes.

This seems to be an intermittent problem (not reproducible at will),
and very hard to reproduce by anyone but the bug reporter. If the
preceding sentence is true, it's possible it will never be solved. In
such a situation, a workaround becomes a legitimate tactic.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2018 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21