Re: Log rotation issue with runit

From: Guillermo <gdiazhartusch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 20:39:17 -0300

El jue., 27 dic. 2018 a las 6:36, Dmitry Bogatov escribió:

> And this issue happens not only on crash, it happens after every
> termination of svlogd, due any signal. I would agree that SIGKILL is
> crash, but issue reproduces with SIGINT and SIGTERM.

SIGTERM should make svlogd exit cleanly, are you sure? It does for me,
and when restarted, does not create any .u file (using Gentoo's runit,
which is upstream runit plus a minor patch to the makefile).

IMO, the bug report shows way too many .u files, this should be a rare
occurence. Ideally, there should be none. And according to the
timestamps, at least two or sometimes all three loggers are producing
a .u file at about the same time, as if they had been started
together.

> Init: runit (via /run/runit.stopit)
> [...]
> Versions of packages runit recommends:
> ii runit-init 2.1.2-19
> [...]
> -- Configuration Files:
> /etc/runit/3 changed [not included]

What does this mean? Is this Debian with runit as the init system and
a modified /etc/runit/3 instead of the one supplied with the Debian
package?

I'm going to make a guess here and say that the supervision tree is
not being teared down properly, resulting in svlogd processes not
exiting cleanly and producing lots of .u files, compounded with the
fact that they are never deleted during rotations because of the fix
to bug #878476...

G.