Re: Log rotation issue with runit

From: Dmitry Bogatov <KAction_at_debian.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 18:33:18 +0000

[2018-12-27 20:39] Guillermo <gdiazhartusch_at_gmail.com>
> El jue., 27 dic. 2018 a las 6:36, Dmitry Bogatov escribió:
> >
> > And this issue happens not only on crash, it happens after every
> > termination of svlogd, due any signal. I would agree that SIGKILL is
> > crash, but issue reproduces with SIGINT and SIGTERM.
>
> SIGTERM should make svlogd exit cleanly, are you sure? It does for me,
> and when restarted, does not create any .u file (using Gentoo's runit,
> which is upstream runit plus a minor patch to the makefile).

Wierd. I tried again, and failed to reproduced issue with SIGTERM this
time. So seems that problem is that svlogd is killed by some other
signal. It is going to be quite a long debugging session.

> > /etc/runit/3 changed [not included]
>
> What does this mean? Is this Debian with runit as the init system and
> a modified /etc/runit/3 instead of the one supplied with the Debian
> package?

Yes.

> I'm going to make a guess here and say that the supervision tree is
> not being teared down properly, resulting in svlogd processes not
> exiting cleanly and producing lots of .u files, compounded with the
> fact that they are never deleted during rotations because of the fix
> to bug #878476...

What do you mean, `supervision tree not not being teared down properly'?