Re: Can s6 be enough?: was s6-ps

From: Brett Neumeier <bneumeier_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2019 09:03:33 -0600

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 2:30 PM Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> So what do you all think? Is s6 a useful init system without s6-rc?

My 0.02 USD -- based on my experience of setting up a simple GNU/Linux
distribution from the ground up using s6, s6-rc, and s6-linux-init...

- s6-rc provides useful functionality: it is really handy, when defining
the way that the system should start up, to have bundles and oneshots; it
is also really handy to be able to start up or shut down groups of
processes via bundles.
- The cost of using s6-rc is negligible. As installed on my x86_64 system
with documentation, it consumes around 576 *kilobytes* of storage space. It
compiles and installs in substantially less than a minute. Learning how to
craft s6-rc service definition directories is no more difficult than
learning how to craft s6 servicedirs.
- You don't lose any capability provided by s6 if you also use s6-rc. You
can send whatever signals you want to the supervised processes by using
s6-svc directly.

So ... costs ~= 0, benefits > 0, to me the question of whether s6 is useful
_without_ s6-rc is kind of pointless.

I'm inclined to turn the question around: what leads you to want to avoid
s6-rc? Is there some other system that provides more benefits at lower cost?

Cheers!

Brett

--
Brett Neumeier (bneumeier_at_gmail.com)