"redo" behavior in subdirectory

From: Patrick Mahoney <pat_at_polycrystal.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 13:49:34 -0600

I'm comparing two implementations of "redo":

First, jdebp/redo 1.4 [1]
Second, apenwarr/redo 0.41 [2]

[1] http://jdebp.eu/Softwares/redo/
[2] https://github.com/apenwarr/redo

Given a project "toplevel" with a subdirectory "subdir" where one's current dir is "toplevel":

In jdebp implementation, running "redo subdir/target" invokes target.do with working dir "toplevel"
In jdebp implementation, running "cd subdir && redo target" creates a new .redo database in subdir

In apenwarr implementation, running "redo subdir/target" invokes target.do with working dir "toplevel/subdir"
In apenwarr implementation, running "cd subdir && redo target" reuses "toplevel/.redo" (assuming it already exists)

The apenwarr implementation seems more useful for constructing a build system
for a project with many nested subprojects, but I may be missing something (I
don't have much experience with any redo implementation). Anyone have comments
on this, or example nested subprojects using "redo"?

--
Patrick