svscan --help

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups_at_NTLWorld.COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 21:53:13 +0000

Laurent Bercot:
> s6-svscan is pretty mild in that aspect.

In fairness, the original Bernstein program was somewhat more forgiving:

> /package/admin/djbwares % command/svscan --help
> svscan: fatal: unable to chdir to --help: file does not exist
> /package/admin/djbwares %

People used this program wrongly so often with the Bernstein tools that
I gained a Frequently Given Answer about it in 2002.

* http://jdebp.eu./FGA/daemontools-spurious-supervise-directories.html

I take the view that if the user gives a command that takes a specific
number of arguments the wrong number of arguments, that's an error. A
quick if (1 != args.size()) test saves this support pain, and having to
explain this *yet again*.

> /package/admin/nosh % command/svscan 1 2
> svscan: FATAL: One directory name is required.
> /package/admin/nosh % command/svscan
> svscan: FATAL: One directory name is required.
> /package/admin/nosh % command/svscan /dev/null
> svscan: FATAL: /dev/null: Not a directory
> /package/admin/nosh %

I defined the directory argument as mandatory in service-dt-scanner,
a.k.a. svscan, though.

> /package/admin/nosh % command/svscan --help
> Usage: svscan [-?] [--help] [--usage] [--input-activation] {directory}
>
> Main options:
> --input-activation Use input activation for log services.
> /package/admin/nosh %

It's not exactly the same program, after all.

* http://jdebp.eu./Softwares/nosh/guide/commands/service-dt-scanner.xml

* http://jdebp.eu./Softwares/djbwares/guide/commands/svscan.xml

Users should indeed read the doco. It is written to be read. (-: