Fwd: emergency IPC with SysV message queues

From: Cameron Nemo <camerontnorman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 12:59:43 -0700

On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 10:54 AM Jeff <sysinit_at_yandex.com> wrote:
> [...]
> On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 09:25:09PM +0000, Laurent Bercot wrote:
> > [...]
> > Okay, so your IPC mechanism isn't just message queues, it's a mix
> > of two different channels: message queues *plus* signals.
>
> well, no. the mechanism is SysV msg queues and the protocol for
> clients to use to communicate includes - among other things - notifying
> the daemon (its PID is well known) by sending a signal to wake it up and
> have it processes the request input queue.
> you do not use just fifos (the mechanism), there is also a protocol
> involved that clients and server use.

What details need to be conveyed other than "stand up", "sit down",
and "roll over" (boot, sigpwr, sigint)?

> > Signals for notification, message queues for data transmission. Yes,
> > it can work, but it's more complex than it has to be, using two Unix
> > facilities instead of one.
>
> indeed, this is more complex than - say - just sockets. on the other
> hand it does not involve any locking to protect against concurrently
> accessing the resource as it would have done with a fifo.
>
> and again: it is just an emergency backup solution, the preferred way
> are (Linux: abstract) unix sockets of course. such complicated ipc is
> not even necessary in my case, but for more complex and integrated
> inits it is. that was why i suggested in order to make their ipc
> independent of rw fs access.

Abstract namespace sockets have two shortcomings:

* not portable beyond linux
* need to use access restrictions
* shared across different mount namespaces;
  one needs a new network namespace for different instances

I am considering dropping it for a socket in /run in my supervisor.

--
Cameron