Re: runit patches to fix compiler warnings on RHEL 7

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 15:39:13 -0500

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 19:04:37 +0000
"Laurent Bercot" <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org> wrote:

> - We on the list will gladly help with any question with runit, but
> to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what to do with patch upstream
> requests for runit. Is anyone processing them and integrating them
> into a new release?

For submitting patches, I'd recommend working with the Void Linux
project. They can be found at #xbps on Freenode IRC. Void Linux has
used runit as their init system for the past 5 years: Their
implementation is very reliable and mature.

> - I host this list. I'm also the author of s6, a supervision
> software suite that is very similar to runit in many ways. s6 is
> actively maintained and has a public git repo, and we generally have
> a quick response time with requests.
>
> - My opinion is that the most sustainable path forward, for runit
> users who need a centrally maintained supervision software suite, is
> to just switch to s6 - and it comes with several other benefits as
> well.

IMHO not necessarily. There are people whose top priority is
simplicity. They value simplicity over guaranteeing against a machine
whose supervisor has died, and is now incommunicado. They value
simplicity over PID1's ability to supervise one program; the process
supervisor (did I get that right?). Such people would prefer runit.

Additionally, if a person uses sysvinit as PID1 and only PID1, and puts
"respawn runsvdir" in /etc/inittab, then they do get PID1 supervising
the supervisor.

One other observation: If I wanted the Cadillac of the industry, I'd go
with s6. But on a day to day basis, the Chevy of the industry, runit, is
good enough for the driving I do.

Which leads to the next point: One reason runit has such a large
mindshare is because Void Linux and maybe some others ship with runit
as their init. s6 has an opportunity to leapfrog. Right now, the Devuan
project is discussing supplying run scripts for runit and for s6.
Assuming Debian ship with a working s6 (only has to work as a
supervisor: sysvinit could be PID1), if the s6 run scripts arrive
first, I think s6 would be in a position to become Devuan's default
supervisor a year or two from now. I spoke the preceding sentence as an
individual, not as a member of the Devuan community. Anyway, if you
have a bunch of known-good s6 run (and finish) scripts curated
somewhere, everyone would be pleased if you let the Devuan user mailing
list know where they are.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2019 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr