Re: runit patches to fix compiler warnings on RHEL 7

From: J. Lewis Muir <jlmuir_at_imca-cat.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2019 11:13:33 -0600

On 11/27, Martin Castillo wrote:
> On 27.11.19 21:33, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
> > On 11/25, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
> >> Is runit hosted in a public source code repo? If so, where?
> >>
> >> Are patches to fix runit compiler warnings on RHEL 7 welcome?
> >
> > I have patches now. Is there a public source code repo I can contribute
> > against? Or would it be helpful to just send the patches to the list?
>
> AFAIK you have to post them to this list.

OK, attached is the patch series.

To apply it against runit 2.1.2:

$ cd admin/runit-2.1.2
$ patch -p2 < /path/to/runit-2.1.2-rhel-7-compiler-fixes.diff

The patch series eliminates all GCC 4.8.5 warnings on x86_64 RHEL 7.7.
I haven't tested on other platforms, so it could be that some of the
fixes just make it compile cleanly on RHEL 7 but not on other platforms.
If this is the case, then I think more logic would be needed at compile
time to test the available APIs and choose the appropriate APIs to use.

Regards,

Lewis