Re: Readiness notification exemplars

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2020 21:29:04 +0000

>Yes it sounds like I completely misread the earlier emails, sorry about
>that. Now, looking at http://skarnet.org/software/s6/notifywhenup.html,
>I'm probably not reading that quite right, but it seems to tie the
>proposal to the 'notifcation-fd' file in the service directory, making
>it a bit less general.

  The notification-fd file is for s6-supervise, i.e. s6's implementation
of a supervisor. It is meant to make the fd number configurable on the
supervisor side, to allow daemons to use whatever fd they choose.

  On the daemon side, you can use any option you like to tell the daemon
what fd it should write to. It has nothing to do with s6, and I have no
recommended policy for daemons.

> s6-log however uses the -d argument to pass the
>fd, so I'll go with that.

  -d works for s6-log and a few others of my programs. For others, -d
is already used for something else, so I use another option.
  I really suggest you don't try to standardize a way to tell daemons
what fd to use. No method will be universal, there will always be
some obscure daemon that will conflict with it.

--
  Laurent