Re: s6-supervise: use of nosetsid

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 17:21:44 +0000

>dcron crashes without it, which is why [1] exists. The log says
>`setpgid: Operation not permitted'. I have not investigated further.

  The problem happens here:
  https://github.com/dubiousjim/dcron/blob/master/main.c#L272

  dcron assumes that it's not a session leader when run in the
foreground.
This is a programming error that should be reported and fixed; if
setpgid(0, 0) fails with EPERM, it just means that the process is
already a session leader, and the program should simply keep running
instead of exiting.

  So, not a valid reason. ;)

  As a workaround, you can avoid nosetsid by just running dcrond under
execline's 'trap', or a shell, or basically any program that will
just forward signals to it.

--
  Laurent