Re: [announce] skarnet.org Winter 2021-2022 release

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 18:54:17 -0500

Hi Laurent,

Congratulations on your updated software!

I searched through my execline documentation page
( http://troubleshooters.com/linux/execline.htm ) to see whether
revisions were needed. They weren't, but I found and fixed several
errors on that page.

I've been doing other things and haven't paid much attention to the
progress of s6. I haven't found any simple documentation on it. Let me
see if I understand...

* Before first installation, back up /sbin/init so if things go
  wrong it's easy to boot with your prior init

* Before running any s6 components, do all the correct config so that
  the s6-rc-compile program to produce a proper s6-rc. Do this every
  time you add or subtract services

* Grub boots to s6-linux-init-maker, which creates several things,
  including a new /sbin/init, and then execs /sbin/init

* /sbin/init does the necessary stuff about signals and the like, and
  then forks the stage1 script

* When the stage 1 script completes, /sbin/init execs the stage 2
  script, so the stage 2 script is PID1 now

* The stage 2 script forks s6-rc-init

* When s6-rc-init completes, the stage 2 script execs s6-rc, so s6-rc
  is PID1

* s6-rc supervises s6-svscan, which supervises all the other services,
  both longrun and shortrun.

The preceding is the best interpretation I could put together from
https://skarnet.org/software/s6-rc/overview.html,
https://skarnet.org/software/s6-rc/s6-rc.html, and discussions with
you. What do I need to do to make the preceding sequence accurate?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt

Laurent Bercot said on Tue, 21 Dec 2021 08:19:38 +0000